|1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup xantham gum, or other thickener
1 lb Lamb drumsticks, minature legs of lamb, ask butcher
2 medium white onion, diced
2 cups Mushroom, quartered
1 cup Celery, diced
2 tbsp Garlic, chopped
3 medium bay leaves
2 tbsp Mint leaves, chopped
2 tbsp Thyme, stripped from the stock
2 tbsp Sweet Basil, shredded
1 can Tomato, chopped
1 1/2 cups red wine, anything you would not drink, do not use!
5 cups Beef stock
|1. In a large stock pot or braising pot or chicken fryer, add the olive oil.
2. Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
3. Sprink the lamb shanks in the xantham gum. Rub into meat or your will get clumps, dusting each side completely.
4. When the oil is hot, sear the shanks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until very brown on all sides. Remove the shanks and set aside.
5. Add the onions to the pan and saute for 2 minutes. Add the mushroom and celery and continue to saute for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic, basil, mint, bay leaves, and thyme. Cook for 1 minute. Add your can of chopped tomatos (or fresh if you have the time. Smell that flavour.
6. Remove the bay leaves. Deglaze the pan bottom with the red wine, scrapping the bottom to loosen the browned particles. Add the stock. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cover
7. Add the shanks and continue to cook for 1.5 to 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper.
Per Serving: 356 Calories; 12 g Fat; 6 g Sat Fat; 59 mg Cholesterol; 1608 mg Sodium; 14 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; 20 g Protein.